VMWare View New Client Builds for Windows 7 with KB2482017 or 2467023

Summary:

Microsoft released two patches that seemed to break the View 4.5 Client on Windows 7.  VMWare has since then released new client builds.  The problem is that they provide these as separate downloads and not through an update to the connection servers.

Workaround:

  1. Download the updated clients from VMWare.
  2. Go to your connection server installation directory and navigate to the downloads.war directory. (Default: C:\Program Files\VMWare\VMWare View\Server\broker\webapps\downloads.war)
  3. Rename the VMWare-viewclient.exe and VMWare-viewclientx86_64.exe files. (I appended –build293049)
    • This is in case you need the older builds.
  4. Now copy the updated client install versions into the directory and rename each respectively to the same file names referenced in step 3.

Now any new/current user can get the new updated client w/o going somewhere else.  The newer client was only tested w/ Windows 7, but I did not see any issues using the client on Windows XP Pro 32-bit.  Even so, those who need the older client can simply be directed to the older download by direct link. (If example followed above, older client downloads would be located here: http://connectionserver/downloads/VMWare-viewclient-build293049.exe)

System.DateTime Objects in Powershell/PowerCLI

Just something cool I learned while listening to a technet webcast featuring Sean Kearney (aka the energized tech)  working w/ DateTime objects.  In particular, I was messing w/ pruning vm datastore statistical data.

Example:  Wanted to gather an average disk usage metric from vm’s on a particular datastore, but only for the weekdays between 8 and 5. 

Solution:

   1: #Gets the datastore information
   2: $DS = Get-Datastore Somedatastore 
   3: #Gets VM's associated w/ somedatastore and their disk.usage.average statistic.
   4: $VMStats = $DS | get-vm | get-stat -stat disk.usage.average
   5: #Filters out weekends and only pulls stats between 8am and 5pm.
   6: $VMStats | `
   7: where-object {
   8: $_.timestamp.hour -gt "7" `
   9: -and $_.timestamp.hour -lt "18" `
  10: -and $_.timestamp.dayofweek -notmatch "Saturday|Sunday"
  11: }

Let me tell you, it was awesome finding out the get-stat cmdlet pulls date/time properties back as proper datetime objects.  Thanks again Sean!


[Update: FYI for those who want to know how I determined properties of the timestamp object.  Simply run the script up to step 5, then type $VMStats.timestamp | get-member]

VM’s not appearing in vCenter 4.1 search… Part 2

Summary

This issue keeps showing it’s ugly face. 

Additional Info:

The culprit is the tomcat server that the “VMWare VirtualCenter Management Webservices” service start.  Reason: Lack of Memory.  This shouldn’t be the case as I assigned 2048MB to the Tomcat service when upgrading to vCenter 4.1 and I definitely have less than 400 hosts.  This is how VMWare breaks it down (table copied):

vCenter/JVM

Initial Memory Pool

Max Memory Pool

Thread Stack Size

4.1 Small (Small <100 hosts, default)

256MB

1024MB

1024KB

4.1 Medium (100-400 hosts)

256MB

2048MB

1024KB

4.1 Large (>400 hosts)

512MB

4096MB

1024KB

Resolution:

Reconfigure Tomcat’s “Maximum memory pool” setting to an appropriate number that your server can handle. 

vCenterTomcat - start menu

I recommend looking @ your task manager to determine what’s appropriate or just go up on level in the chart.  I changed the “Initial memory pool” to 2GB since I noticed it was pretty much going over that number on restart.

vCenterTomcat - Webservices

In my case, I was well above the 2048MB as you can see below:

vCenterTomcatTask Manager

Note:

I’m monitoring this service’s memory usage now.  It’s gone up 4168 bytes over 10 min.  Not that big, but I’m starting to wonder if maybe Netbackup is causing this massive spike in memory usage.

ESXi 4.1 joined to domain, but not authenticating privileged users

Summary:

Turning on logging in the likewise agents turned up entries (netlogond.log) like these:

20110208160637:0xffe0cb90:INFO:[LWNetSrvGetDCTime() /build/mts/release/bora-234910/likewise/esxi-esxi/src/linux/netlogon/server/api/dcinfo.c:434] Determining the current time for domain ‘zsoldier.local’
20110208160637:0xffe0cb90:INFO:[LWNetSrvGetDCName() /build/mts/release/bora-234910/likewise/esxi-esxi/src/linux/netlogon/server/api/dcinfo.c:97] Looking for a DC in domain ‘zsoldier.local’, site '<null>' with flags 10
20110208160637:0xffdfbb90:INFO:[LWNetSrvGetDCName() /build/mts/release/bora-234910/likewise/esxi-esxi/src/linux/netlogon/server/api/dcinfo.c:97] Looking for a DC in domain ‘zsoldier.local’, site '<null>' with flags 0

Everything seems to work fine like adding domain users/groups permissions on the server, but it would not authenticate any the defined domain users/groups.  The entry regarding ‘Determining the current time for domain’ seemed to cause the issue.

Resolution:

Make sure the server is synced up w/ a domain NTP server.  Once the time is synced, domain privileged users should be able to login.

Other Stuff:

For instructions on how to setup AD Authentication on ESX 4.1 visit here:

http://ict-freak.nl/2010/09/12/how-to-configure-vsphere-4-1-active-directory-authentication/

VMWare View 4.5 and Citrix NetScalers Persistence Type

Summary:

It was rather difficult to find information on how to setup a Netscaler w/ VMWare View.  So here are my settings.  VMWare posted a KB because wrong settings causes issues.

Resolution:

You should choose Persistence Type: Source IP.

I did a timeout value of 2 min, but to each his own.