[UPDATE: The workaround detailed below refers to quickprep only. Versions 4.5 and above now allow you to use customization specifications in vCenter. I'd recommend using those for easier administration, especially when expanding your environment.]
This error message can appear when deploying View Pool from a Parent VM (aka Gold Image) that has Microsoft’s App-V 4.5 client installed:
View Composer agent initialization state error (6): Unknown failure (waited 0 seconds)
- On the Parent VM, change the “Application Virtualization Client” service to manual.
- Next steps are completely voluntary. The only reason I went further was so that as soon as a user logs into a View session, their App-V applications would show up immediately.
- Create a batch/cmd file and place it on the root directory of the VM. (Commonly C:\)
- Open Notepad
- Paste the following two lines:
- Save the file as a bat or cmd (For this example, I’m naming mine “Custom.bat”)
- Once you’ve snapshot your changes, all you need to do is change the following setting to use the batch file that was created in the previous step Post synchonization script.
sc config sftlist start= auto
sc start sftlist
One thing the App-V / Softgrid client does is add an entry to the UserInit Key (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon) in Windows. From my understanding, best practice from MS is that your supposed to put a comma after any entry that you append to this key. App-V 4.5 / Softgrid don’t do this. So when you install the View Agent, make sure the key reads something like this:
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"C:\Program Files\Softricity\SoftGrid for Windows Desktops\sftdcc.exe","C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Agent\bin\wssm.exe",