Spyware, Trojans, Viruses, and the free tools to help you...
There are 3 free tools that I personally use to keep my PC systems free of the garbage that the internet can produce:
- AVG Free - A free Anti-Virus tool that is quite popular and does a fine job of keeping viruses off my computer and updates itself automatically.
- Spybot - A free Anti-Spyware tool. This works well to immunize your computer from known bad websites and helps to rid your computer of trojans and spyware if you do get infected. If your computer does get infected with something, the best way to run spybot to get rid of those nasty infections is under Windows *Safe Mode.
- Spybot does not have a automatic update method, so you will need to run it periodically and run its update task. I would recommend to run it at least once a month to update it.
- Spyware Blaster - A free Spyware Prevention Tool. This tool is simply meant to augment Spybot in further in its immunization task.
- Spyware Blaster does have an autoupdate function, but requires you to pay for it. Otherwise you have to update it manually by running it and clicking a button to run the update process.
All you would have to do is select a day when you think your computer was not infected.
*To boot in Safe Mode, follow the below steps:
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep (your computer might not beep depending on your make and model) once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
- Go to Start --> Control Panel (or Start --> Settings --> Control Panel)
- Depending on your view you either double-click the System Icon or Select System Maintenance, then select system.
- In the System Properties window, select the "System Restore" tab. In this view, you should be able to tell whether it is turned on or off.