Counts of VM's running specific OS types

This was a fun little exercise for me in getting a count of VM's per OS type spawned off by a question in the vmware communities board.  The result would look something like this:

It's quite simple and probably could be written a bit more efficiently, but ran sufficiently fast enough for me.

$TotalVMs = Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Property Name,'Summary.Config.GuestFullName'
$OSFilters = $TotalVMs | select -ExpandProperty summary | select -expandproperty config | select -unique guestfullname | sort

$MyCustomReport = New-Object PSObject
Foreach ($OSFilter in $OSFilters)
     {$MyCustomReport | Add-Member -Name $OSFilter.GuestFullName -MemberType NoteProperty -Value ($totalvms | select -expandproperty summary | select -expandproperty config | where {$_.GuestFullName -eq $OSFilter.guestfullname}).count}
$MyCustomReport | Add-member -Name Total -MemberType NoteProperty -Value $TotalVMs.Count


Time to participate in the Project VRC "State of the VDI and SBC union 2015" survey

(I was requested to post this with the benefit of being allowed early access to the results to share.  I'm mainly curious to see what 2015's report looks like.  That and I'd like to see US respondents go up.)

The independent R&D project ‘Virtual Reality Check’ (VRC) ( was started in early 2009 by Ruben Spruijt (@rspruijt) and Jeroen van de Kamp (@thejeroen) and focuses on research in the desktop and application virtualization market. Several white papers with Login VSI ( test results were published about the performance and best practices of different hypervisors, Microsoft Office versions, application virtualization solutions, Windows Operating Systems in server hosted desktop solutions and the impact of antivirus.

In 2013 and early 2014, Project VRC released the annual 'State of the VDI and SBC union' community survey (download for free at Over 1300 people participated. The results of this independent and truly unique survey have provided many new insights into the usage of desktop virtualization around the world.

This year Project VRC would like to repeat this survey to see how our industry has changed and to take a look at the future of Virtual Desktop Infrastructures and Server Based Computing in 2015. To do this they need your help again. Everyone who is involved in building or maintaining VDI or SBC environments is invited to participate in this survey. Also if you participated in the previous two editions.

The questions of this survey are both functional and technical and range from “What are the most important design goals set for this environment”, to “Which storage is used”, to “How are the VM’s configured”. The 2015 VRC survey will only take 10 minutes of your time.

The success of the survey will be determined by the amount of the responses, but also by the quality of these responses. This led Project VRC to the conclusion that they should stay away from giving away iPads or other price draws for survey participants. Instead, they opted for the following strategy: only survey participants will receive the exclusive overview report with all results immediately after the survey closes.

The survey will be closed February 15th this year. I really hope you want to participate and enjoy the official Project VRC “State of the VDI and SBC union 2015” survey!

Visit to fill out the Project Virtual Reality Check "State of the VDI and SBC Union 2014" survey.

Error: Issues information is not available at this time. (vCenter Appliance)

The above was a wonderfully descriptive error I would receive in the web client.  This started appearing after I removed individual nodes from a cluster and readded them back to inventory.  (was trying to clear some bunk HA errors)

Long story short, I had to open the C# client to find out what 'warning/error' it was complaining about.  Quite simply, I had forgotten to re-add the hosts back into the vDS and migrate the vMotion/vSAN vmk connections.

Man-o-man, I see why so many people complain about the web client.

The upside to the story was I found out a couple of things about vSAN.

  1. Having a 3-node cluster minimum, I was able to remove and re-add each host back into the cluster with no issues to VM's running on each host.
  2. Even w/ the vDS problem, vSAN kept chugging along w/ VM's running just fine.
  3. In other words, even without vCenter managing things, the ESXi hosts kept everything running just fine.
  4. This was on my mac mini vSAN cluster.

vCloud Air On Demand (Beta Impressions)

It's definitely beta and I'm not a big fan of some aspects of the implementation, specifically that I might find myself jumping between this and the provided vCloud director a lot.  It's not all bad though.  Click through if you'd like to read my overview/opinion of the service.

Outlook 2013 (Office 365) for Mac Clock Error

Ran into this wonderful error while traveling.  Thankfully, I still had Outlook 2011 still installed, so I had a workaround for a bit.

Clock error
The system clock is inaccurate, please set it to current local time.
This would occur for no obvious reason, although it does seem related to 'travel' related activities when switching time zones.  Outlook would go into offline mode and would require that I activate it first, activation would fail w/ the above error.  If I remember correctly, I had this happen to me two about a month ago as well, but the activation error went away on it's own after I flew back to my timezone.

This time, I screwed around w/ it, and well I probably broke it while trying to fix it before going back to my home time zone.  One of which was deleting the computer from my activated list as a troubleshooting step.  Anyway, Microsoft support on a communities board finally posted a solution, but it was difficult to figure out, so here is a 'translated' step by step.  Specifically step 5 wasn't that clear to me.